Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dan Burns' Olive Spread

OK I'm on a roll. This recipe is from Dan Burns, a friend of ours who is a cancer Dr. So I like to think this is a healthy recipe and will fight cancer but he never said that. I took this as an appetizer for our 9 to Dine Dinner group and it was a big hit although only 7 or us were there at the time. It's easy but you do need either a food processor or blender.
1 cup greek olives with the pits removed
1/4 cup pine nuts (which are very expensive)
2-4 Tbsp. of olive oil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic

Mix all together in a food processor. Dan has a mini one which if anyone wants a gift idea for me, this would be a good one. I use my big food processor and it does fine. Start with the pine nuts, then the oil, then the olives, then the garlic. Add the cheese last to keep it from getting too cut up.
Serve with some kind of crispy cracker. My latest obsession is Back to Nature brand, Multigrain Flax seeded flatbread crackers. They are really good and may be somewhat good for you judging by the rustic box they come in. Mega Foods has them which is surprising so hopefully they are easy to find elsewhere. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Edwin and Chelsea said...

I love your commentary. I don't like olives so probably won't be trying this, but I'll take your word for it that it's delicious! We went to a farm today and saw how chickens are raised from start to finish. Well- until they leave the farm to be "processed". The Omnivore's Dilemma author would be impressed! Chickens walking around at their will- definitely free range! I also learned that bakers prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs because they help the fluffiness and texture of baked goods! You learn something new everyday!

adam and andrea said...

I agree with Chel - love the commentary! You should have a food network show, especially with your beautiful new kitchen!!

I think a new kitchen tour would be a great post!